Monday, February 28, 2011

My New Golden Savannah


Rain, rain, dark, damp and dim. Yep, it’s been a filthy, wet affair of a day here in Eastern England. Bother! And, what better antidote to our dreary British weather (yawn) than to immerse myself in the evocative colours of another African Landscape?

Golden Savannah is one my most popular commissions and I’m usually asked to produce it as a triptych. Which, if I'm being honest does show this composition off to it's best advantage (Don't take my word for it check out the link at the bottom of the post) However, on this occasion my client wanted a particular size for a particular wall and gee..I'm simply happy to oblige!

OK, Apart from ditching the triptych format all else remains essentially the same. Colour, composition and the central theme of Giraffes (gorgeous creatures) roaming and grazing the Great Savannah without a care in the world.

Again, I've used my airbrush here to apply numerous layers of acrylic paint. Acrylic dries quickly so I can thus build multiple layers at speed and create all manner of textural and colour effects. I wanted to make the composition 'burn' to create that sense of sizzling African heat. Hot, dry, arid and yet retaining that essential beauty and sense of the exotic. A perfect backdrop for such noble creatures.

Shirley

Golden Savannah Triptych Link
Read more...

0 comments: